Durk Rion Public Relations believes in achieving goals and providing results. After nearly two decades of public relations planning and execution - working hand in hand with major companies such as Weber Grills, Taco Bell Foundation and RIDGID tools - simply put, we know what works and what doesn't. Our mission is to be a communications partner who will work passionately to achieve the best possible results for you and your company.
Kim Durk, President
- More than 16 years of public relations experience in integrated consumer marketing, media relations, special event planning, new product introductions, brand awareness campaigns, writing, and strategic planning.
- Former Senior Account Supervisor at Edelman, the world’s largest independent public relations agency; managed a team of four while working on the Kraft Foods account. Account Supervisor at Golin Harris on the McDonald’s team, heading the McDonald’s All American High School Basketball Game to benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities.
- Strong ties to media, secured coverage for clients with the Associated Press, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Business Week, Newsweek, House Beautiful, Good Housekeeping, Esquire, People Magazine, Maxim, Men’s Journal, Oprah, The Rosie O’Donnell Show, CNN, Good Morning America, Today, CBS Early Show, The Best Damn Sports Show Period, and countless local print, TV, and radio media outlets.
- Notable projects include the introduction of the most successful McDonald’s Barbie/Hot Wheels Happy Meal with a media event featuring NASCAR driver Bill Elliott and his pit crew “tuning up” a line of New York City taxis. Resulted in more than 100 TV placements. Currently, Durk is managing media relations efforts for Weber’s Command of the Grill Program to raise awareness and funds for charities that directly benefit United States Marines and their families.
- Durk is an award winning public relations strategist, including the 2001 Elynore D. Meserow Top Creativity Award, Gold and Silver Trumpet Awards from the Publicity Club of Chicago, Skyline Awards from the Public Relations Society of America, a Gold Mercury Award from MerComm, and a Certificate of Excellence from North American Precis Syndicate for Superior Achievement in Media Relations.
Katie Heraty, Vice President
- Katie has more than 15 years of experience in media relations, public relations, entertainment and television production.
- For more than a decade, Katie worked at The Oprah Winfrey Show in the fast-paced and competitive Production Department as an Associate Producer and as a Talent/News Booker. The Oprah Winfrey Show's influence reaches 46 million viewers each week and is broadcast to 132 countries worldwide. Katie built a strong reputation for developing show ideas and partnerships for The Oprah Winfrey Show resulting in an increase in brand recognition, sales and publicity for companies including YouTube, Discovery Communications, Vera Wang's new clothing line at Kohl's Department Stores, House of Dereon: Beyonce's clothing line and more. Her achievements include booking and producing shows with some of Hollywood's hottest celebrities including Leonardo DiCaprio, Barbara Streisand, Bono, Beyonce, India Arie, Venessa Hudgens, Carson Kressley and more. After many years of working with the world's most well-known experts, Katie has developed a specific knowledge in the area of media training including what qualities make a great spokesperson. She has worked with Dr. Phil McGraw, Dr. Mehmet Oz, Dr. Roizen, Lisa Ling, Art Smith, Giada De Laurentiis and more.
- Prior to working for The Oprah Winfrey Show, Katie worked in the field of Public Relations servicing clients at Edelman PR Worldwide including Purina, Microsoft, Illinois Bureau of Tourism and the Illinois Lottery. She also worked as a publicist for Oscar Mayer's Weinermobile Program and Warner Brothers Studios Publicity and Promotions Department Internship program. Katie's unique experience of working on both sides of the media allows her to offer clients a very specialized set of skills for their media and public relations needs.
Toni Fink, Senior Media Relations Expert
- More than seven years agency experience in several industries including retail, consumer goods, banking and financial services, healthcare and animal health, and non-profit arenas with expertise in professional writing, campaign development, product and service publicity, media relations, special events and project management for clients ranging from IAMS, Big Lots, Smith Dairy and Rubbermaid to Bayer Animal Health, Steris Corporation, Charter One Bank and Panda Express.
- Extensive media relations background with successful story placement in industry trades as well as national news outlets including USA Today, New York Times, Washington Post, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Chicago Tribune, Newsweek, Real Simple, Lucky, Glamour, Ladies Home Journal, Popular Mechanics, Advertising Age, Adweek, Creativity, BtoB, Fortune Small Business, and PR Week. Additionally, securing segments for clients on the Today Show, Good Morning America, Entertainment Tonight and numerous local broadcast television news programs.
- Comprehensive event experience includes: the inaugural Abbey Road on the River, a Beatles centric three-day music and art festival; the 2004 International Children’s Games held in Cleveland, Ohio; the 80th anniversary festivities for Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and countless grand opening celebrations for bank branches, new/remodeled retail stores and restaurants, press events, company parties and grassroots/guerilla marketing tactics.
Linda Masterson, Senior Strategist/Writer
- More than 30 years of consumer and business to business marketing and communications on both the agency and client side of the business. Deep experience in integrated consumer and business-to-business marketing, creative and business strategy development, planning and implementation, qualitative and secondary research and analysis, consumer insights, mindsets and implications, new product introductions, defining brand character and building brand awareness, creative direction and writing everything from advertising and promotional materials to Web sites, newsletters and feature stories.
- Former Senior Vice President and Creative Director at Ketchum Communications, then a billion-dollar privately held agency with a blue chip roster of clients including Campbell’s Soup, Procter & Gamble and Quaker Oats. Director of $350MM+ brand group at Enesco, the world’s largest gifts and collectibles company, Director of New Business Development and the Gene Group at Ashton Drake Galleries.
- Published author, with a novel, several children’s books, and countless articles for business and consumer newspapers and magazines, including The New York Times Sunday Magazine, National Wildlife, and The Northern Colorado Business Report.
- Currently research and write three monthly electronic newsletters, for Robert Bosch Tool Corp., ORCO and Treats for Troops. The RBTC & ORCO newsletters include an executive level focus on the housing market, including design and building trends, and also cover major retailers and big builders.
- Masterson is an award winning strategist and writer, with over 50 national, regional and local (Chicago) awards for print, television, radio, film and marketing, including Addy, CLIO, Effie, International Film Festival. Frequent judge at the Addy’s.
© 2007 Durk Rion Public Relations